Let's face it, cicadas are cool.They look like little buses with wings and bulging eyes. And they make the most incredible din when they park themselves up in the trees and start singing for mates.
The cicada in the above picture is called the "dog day cicada" because it is at the height of its glory during the dog days of summer. These are annual cicadas, wintering underground and climbing the trees each summer to live out their brief, noisy lives.
Then, of course, there are the 13-year and 17-year cicadas--the ones that live underground for an incredible 13 or 17 years and then emerge to see daylight for only a few short weeks.
These are known as periodical cicadas, and they are much more dramatic looking than the annual cicadas, having red eyes.
Here is a wonderful picture of a periodical cicada:

The periodical cicadas have Brood numbers to determine which type they are and where they are likely to show up. Our area is visited every 17 years by Brood X (10).
I remember living in Fairfax, Virginia, when Brood X emerged in 1987. It was absolutely amazing. They were EVERYwhere! At first I tried to avoid running into them when I was driving, but I soon realized it was utterly impossible. They plastered the roads, the trees, the sidewalks. They flew into you when you weren't looking. Fortunately, cicadas are pretty cute and not at all gross, so people don't normally mind being landed on by a cicada.
And the noise! They seem to all sing in unison, unlike the dog day cicadas which sing individually. It was deafening.
Brood X emerged again in 2004. We were living in Damascus, Maryland, at the time, and for some reason they didn't come there at all. I don't know whether they visited Carroll County. They are next scheduled to appear in 2021.
There are people who think cicadas make tasty snacks if they're roasted. I think I would simply prefer to admire their enthusiastic song during the dog days of summer and snack on ice cream.
Interesting links:
The Mid-Atlantic Cicada database project has a Brood Map and seasonal reports.
Seventeenyearcicada.com has information and fabulous pictures. Many thanks to John Spina for the photos in this blog post.
No comments:
Post a Comment